Course Introduction Video Content
During this Course we will learn what’s required to create great 2D documentation using SketchUp and Layout. We will learn both how to start a new Project from scratch and also how to save heaps of time and effort by applying a Project recycling workflow. Always remember, great 2D Layout documentation starts with a properly set-up 3D SketchUp model.
Who can learn from this course?
Although the subject materials in this course are a simple coloured cube and a Lakeside cabin, the skills and processes we learn will be applicable to anyone who wants to produce 2D documentation from their 3D models.
Recommended Prior Knowledge
During this course, features of SketchUp that directly impact the Layout workflow will be covered, but it is recommended that you have a good handle on SketchUp before attempting this course. Unfortunately, this is a “how long is a piece of string” question but if you think you’d like to hone or develop your SketchUp skills before attempting this course, SketchUp Australia’s “SketchUp Beginners” online course is more than adequate to get you up to standard.
The course is broken up into two major sections.
In the first section we will start from a completely blank SketchUp default template, create geometry from the ground up, and then go through each step to produce a simple documentation set. It’s important we start at this very basic level so that the whole workflow can be understood.
That being said, when you’re actually using SketchUp and Layout in a professional, productive, and effective way, you would very rarely start projects from zero, and so the second section of the course focuses on the project recycling process, which is all about saving time and effort.
Not only will this course teach you how to create professional 2D drawings (efficiently), but you will also get a tonne of free content, including: basic 3D SketchUp models, a detailed 3D SketchUp model, 3D details, a full set of DD/Construction drawings (Layout), smart components (including windows/doors, FFL markers, etc) and a whole lot more. This free content alone is worth more than the cost of the course!
Trouble accessing the Lessons?
If you’ve purchased the course, but are unable to access the lessons below, please log-out of the SketchUp Australia website, then log back in with the account that was nominated during the course purchase process.
Log-in to SketchUp Australia
If you continue to experience access issues, please let us know via our Technical Support portal so we can help you get up and running as soon as possible.
Submit a Technical Support Request
Completing this course
To complete this course, you’ll need to mark every lesson complete and also complete all the quizzes. Once that’s all done, you’ll be able to access and download your course completion certificate from the top of this page.
To participate in this course, you will need access to:
- SketchUp 2021 Pro or Studio (the 30-day trial version will suffice)
- A computer and operating system that meet SketchUp's minimum System Requirements (https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/system-requirements)
- A high speed internet connection capable of streaming full HD video (1080p)
- It is highly recommended that you've already completed the "Learn SketchUp" course, or similar, or have used SketchUp for at
- A mouse with at least 3 clickable buttons and a wheel (on most mice, the wheel is a clickable button)
- An "Apple Magic Mouse" is not suitable
- A Trackball mouse is not suitable
- A Trackpad is not suitable
The following course materials are provided:
- The course content is delivered by your trainer via a pre-recorded online video.
- All the SketchUp model files you need to complete the course
- Imported files (JPG, PNG, DWG, DAT) will either be included in the course materials download file, or your trainer will walk you through the search and download process from external sites as part of the training, so you can find and download files/content yourself in the future.
- Not only will this course teach you how to create professional 2D drawings (efficiently), but you will also gain access to a tonne of free content, including: 3D SketchUp models, 3D details, a full set of DD/Construction drawings (Layout), smart components (including windows/doors, FFL markers, etc) and a whole lot more. This free content alone is worth more than the cost of the course!